Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Psychology

Dear Diary, Today I went to speak to an advisor about changing my major to Psychology, "the study of human behavior." Isn't that what college is all about anyway? I have been studying a lot of behavior this past six weeks as I've been adjusting to my new life... the behavior of others as well as my own behavior. I have already confessed that "fitting in" is a priority for me. As a matter of fact, I noticed another oddity about myself today. I have been carrying my books in my laptop bag and everyone else uses a backpack. I did see one other person with a non-traditional book bag and she did, pardon my expression, look "dorky" (do young people still use this word?) I imagined how I must appear to people, so right after talking to my advisor, I rushed over to Walmart to get a backpack so I could improve my self image. I went to Walmart because there is really no where else to shop in town. Take that back, there is a Payless Shoe Store and I actually went there first, hoping I wouldn't have to go to Walmart because it really isn't my favorite place to shop--there is too much junk and I find that distracting and I always buy something that I really don't need. Long story short, Payless did not have one backpack...too bad because their BOGO sale is in progress. So, then I rushed to Walmart and headed right for the big FASHION sign in the middle of the store, because the backpacks are located under that sign. The sign really should have read YUCK, because I could not find one backpack that I liked or thought was appropriate (didn't really want to carry around Hannah Montana or the cast of High School Musical). So, I resorted to looking at Staples ($79.00 for the same ugly bag I could purchase at Walmart for $17), Cal-Ranch (same bags as Walmart, but they did have some cute cowboy boots, but I'm not really into Western attire) and Albertsons (Hooray I found a red one there for $9). It really wasn't exactly what I wanted, but once I added a red ceramic heart pin that I found in my extremely disorganized jewelry box, it looked pretty stylin'. Can't wait to fit in better tomorrow by lugging around my backpack as opposed to my laptop bag. I'm sure it will make a big difference in how I'm perceived by others. I think I will change my major to Psychology...I'm beginning to understand my behavior better already!

No comments:

Post a Comment