Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Me and Technology

Dear Diary, I think one of the toughest challenges of going to school is dealing with the changes in technology. When I first attended the University in the olden days, computers were a relatively new concept and filled an entire room. There was no internet: google, facebook or e-mail (oh my gosh how did we survive?). All research had to be done in the library and then typed on the typewriter, now a thing of the past. There were no worries about uploading, downloading, or retrieving files. You just shoved in the paper, hit the carriage return and prayed you didn't make mistakes (unless you had a self-correcting typewriter). It took weeks to research and compose a college paper; one which can now be created, spell checked, embellished with pictures and printed in a matter of hours. This technology stuff is still hard for me, though I think I'm getting pretty good at it. Still at times I struggle, and then I have to call one of my children on my cell (it takes me too long to text). I know this annoys them. I am amazed they even answer the phone (they are probably hoping that I have inherited some fortune and am going to split it with them; that could be the only reason they don't let me go to voice mail). Anyway, bless their greedy little hearts, they do answer the phone, and rather pleasantly. "I need help", I say. Long pause. I know they are thinking, "not again." "How do I download a file to the F drive on the University's internet sight?" Now they are not so pleasant. Child #1, Master's Degree in Business says, "Mother, you should know this by now. How do you think you do it?" (if I knew how I wouldn't be asking) "Never mind," I say and call child #2, who just finished law school. "Well he says, define download. Maybe you want to upload it?" I say, "What's the difference?" "Why don't you look it up?" Argumentative little bugger. I say, "talk to you later." I call #3, my oldest who is also well educated, but has learned patience with me. He talks me through it, I thank him. (I am remembering that kid in my will, which by the way I prepared on my computer, so I hope I saved it correctly).

No comments:

Post a Comment