Monday, October 12, 2009

Wellness Dynamics

Dear Diary, This semester, I am taking a class entitled Wellness Dynamics. This is actually a very helpful class. I thought I would share what I have learned so far. First of all we studied the seven components of wellness. These include the areas of spiritual, educational, intellectual, emotional, occupational, physical, and social health. So far, I have learned that going back to school is probably contributing to to most of these areas in negative ways. I find myself too tired to go to church and socialize, I have cut my work hours and also my income in half and I am eating a lot more sugar, drinking more caffeine, and feeling a lot of stress. I am contributing to my educational and intellectual well being, however, as I am learning why I have high cholesterol, that my resting heart rate is abnormal, and that I am not exercising enough. On the positive side, I have learned that even though I am over 50, I can still keep my muscles from atrophying and that I definetly do not want to use steroids, because I already have enough hair on my face. Looking ahead in the book, I find hope, because so far I don't have cancer or diabetes, I am not a drug addict and I don't have any STD's. If I can just increase my flexibility, form a good plan for nutrition and achieve a healthy weight (yeah, right), I may become a responsible health care consumer and live through the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment